The Region 5 Community Connector
Newsletter Promoting activities, information, and news to the membership
Hunter J Boudreaux – East Area Chair
Maciej J Zawodniok– North Area Chair
Christopher B Sanderson– South Area Chair
Faye Kann– West Area Chair
R5 EXCOM Roster can be viewed here: https://rosters.ieee.org/home.html
R5 EXCOM Meetings
- January 29, 2022 Winter Meeting files are in Collabratec: @ https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/1314/IEEE-Region-5/files.
- September 16-18, 2022 Fall Meeting in Lubbock, TX (Virtual All / In Person by invitation) Meeting files pending
2023 Audit Committee
- Treasurer: Paul Cassingham.
- Audit Committee Chair, 4th Year: William Wylie (North) Billwylie@ieee.org
- Audit Committee, 3rd Year: Silke Spiesshoefer (East) Silke_Spiesshoefer@ieee.org
- Audit Committee, 2nd Year: Ernest X Njouondo (South) email@example.com
- Audit Committee, 1st Year: Patterson, Tristan Hunter (West) firstname.lastname@example.org
POC: Director Bob Becnel email@example.com
Calling for Region 5 Director Candidates
This is a unique opportunity to serve as Director-elect in 2024, then become Region 5 Director in 2026. Over the next month, the Nominations Committee is simply looking for expressions of interest.
Please contact the Chair of the Nominations Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to be considered as a potential candidate or if you have questions. Nominate yourself or another qualified volunteer now!
|R5 Conferences, Webinars and Professional Activities|
R5 Conferences and Webinars
- The IEEE MetroCon 2022 (November 3, 2022) IEEE Fort Worth Section Annual Technical conference, returning to in person at Hurst Conference Center, http://www.metrocon.org/ MetroCon 2022 includes nine parallel and strong tracks! Attendees will have the opportunity to rapidly grasp the technical and societal implications of some of the most promising and innovative new developments and ideas. Exciting Track Offerings – Internet of Things – Software and Systems Engineering – Developing and Deploying Secure Systems – Power & Energy Systems – Quantum Computing and Artificial Intelligence – Biotechnologies – Financial Management and Future Tools – Autonomous and Vehicle Systems – Photonics Contact Diane Bowen Collier for additional information email@example.com.
- The IEEE Panhandle Section Fall 2022 Professional Development Seminar and 75th Anniversary (Thursday October 27, 2022). Seminar will be hosted in a hybrid fashion to give everyone the option to attend virtually or in-person. For the in-person attendees, the seminar will be held in Amarillo College’s West Campus Lecture Hall – 6222 SW 9th Ave., Amarillo, Texas 79106. In celebration of the IEEE section’s 75th Anniversary a tumblers gift will be provided to IEEE members who attend in person.
– CEU’s will be emailed to everyone (Both in-person and virtual attendee’s) after the seminar by Amarillo College
– Both in-person and virtual attendee’s must register and pay for this seminar online using Vtools. No mail in registrations
- Central Texas Section (EEE Power & Energy, Power Electronic, Industrial Application Industrial Electronic & Product Safety Engineering Societies Austin Joint Chapter (PI)²) is hosting National Electrical Code (NEC ) 2023 Changes Workshop (Wednesday, October 26th & Thursday, October 27th, 2022) at Scottish Rite Theatre 207 W. 18th St. Austin, TX
Instructor: Thomas A. Domitrovich
This two-day workshop will take a deep dive into changes to the NEC 2023.
The primary focus will be on major areas of the power distribution systems which are affected by the latest changes and
not on the typical Article by Article, Section by Section method. Examples will be worked through as a class to understand
how these NEC changes apply to how power distribution systems are engineered.
This Workshop is intended for Electrical Designers, Estimators, Field Engineers, and is highly recommended as a review
supplement for those preparing to take the Electrical P.E. exam. In addition, there will be exhibits by industry manufacturers
Breakfast tacos, beverages, and break refreshments will be served. Attendee will be provided with a copy of
2023 NEC (Spiral bound).
Drawing prizes to be offered include 3 AEMC model 601 clamp-on Meters.
Registration and payment for this workshop must be completed at https://events.vtools.ieee.org/tego_/event/manage/318401
Workshop POC James Mercier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Central Texas WIE Chapter is holding an online event which may be of interest to others around Region 5. Title: “Supercharge your Creativity with Flow.” Registration Link: https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/325220 POC: Leslie Martinich email@example.com
- For Listing of Region 5 Conferences, please visit: https://conferences.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/search?q=*&subsequent_q=&date=all&from=&to=®ion=Region05-Southwestern%20USA&country=all&pos=0&sortorder=desc&sponsor=&sponsor_type=all&state=all&field_of_interest=all&sortfield=relevance&searchmode=basic&virtualflag=Y&virtualConfReadOnly=N&eventformat=
Region 5 Annual 2023 Student Competitions
- The 2023 IEEE Region 5 Annual Student Competitions will be held at the Hyatt Regency Aurora-Denver Conference Center in Aurora, Colorado on April 22, 2023. These competitions are open to all undergraduate IEEE student members who are attending a school in Region 5. Space is limited for some competitions and is given on a first come first serve basis. Interested teams should submit their ‘Intent to Submit’ forms as soon as possible. Student Competition Discord server: https://discord.gg/meG8Qku6RD For more information, please visit: https://r5conferences.org/student-activities
Please direct any questions you may have to the region 5 student representative, jaiden or the student activities
chair, Amardeep. Jaiden Strong firstname.lastname@example.org, Amardeep Kaur email@example.com
- Region 5 makes funds available for the support of professional activities in IEEE R5 Sections, Chapters, and Student Branches. The funds are managed and distributed through the Region. To obtain funding, a Section, Chapter, or Student Branch must complete a Project Plan and Financing Request form, obtain supporting signatures, and file the form with the Region 5 PACE Coordinator. For R5 PACE Form (includes program details) and project ideas, https://r5.ieee.org/member-opportunities/professional-activities-pace/.
|R5 Sections and Formation Date|
|1||Arkansas River Valley||June 20, 1994|
|2||Arkansas||April 23, 1947|
|3||Baton Rouge||February 5, 1955|
|4||Beaumont||June 27, 1945|
|5||Central Texas||May 23, 1930|
|6||Corpus Christi||October 25, 1951|
|7||Dallas||March 18, 1928|
|8||Denver||May 18, 1915|
|9||El Paso||March 7, 1940|
|10||Fort Worth||January 5, 1956|
|11||Galveston Bay||January 1, 1980|
|12||High Plains||February 13, 2010|
|13||Houston||August 7, 1928|
|14||Kansas City||April 4, 1916|
|15||Lafayette||November 11, 1970|
|16||Lone Star||November 23, 2019|
|17||New Orleans||December 8, 1933|
|18||Oklahoma City||February 16, 1922|
|19||Ozark||April 20, 1966|
|20||Panhandle||June 12, 1947|
|21||Pikes Peak||May 22, 1978|
|22||Saint Louis||January 14, 1903|
|23||Shreveport||January 14, 1903|
|24||South Plains||May 4, 1955|
|25||Southwest Missouri||February 14, 2009|
|26||Tulsa||October 1, 1937|
|27||Wichita||September 16, 1937|
IEEE USA News
IEEE MGA News
- The Full ExCom Roster can be viewed here: https://rosters.ieee.org/home.html
- IEEE www.ieee.org
- MGA https://www.ieee.org/communities/geographic-activities.html
- IEEE USA https://ieeeusa.org/
- IEEE Region 5 https://r5.ieee.org/
- IEEE OU Analytics https://mga.ieee.org/resources-operations/volunteer-tools/samieee
- vTools: https://events.vtools.ieee.org/
The Newsletter is sent to all current members in Region 5