2016 IEEE Houston Section ExCom Leadership Changes
Letter from PJ Donner
It’s that time of year when the section leadership changes. At the end of 2015, I will be transitioning from being the section chair to being a “past” chair. I’ll still be around to support the incoming chair, Kheng Swee Goh, and supporting other section activities.
I have enjoyed my time as section chair. I’ve met some great people and learned a lot about IEEE and the many things IEEE is doing. I believe we have made some great strides in the section over the last two years:
- We have new volunteers on the ExCom board and other members who have stepped up to help with other activities.
- We have a new look to the Houston Section web page. Check it out at: http://sites.ieee.org/Houston
- We have increased member participation at meetings. We averaged around 25 per meeting in 2015. I hope we see that number grow in 2016!
- We have made great progress in getting speakers lined up for the section meetings (the 2016 calendar is almost full!).
The societies are doing well.
- We elevated 60 members to Senior Member, 33% of the Region 5 goal! And we still have a few in the queue.
- We have a new student branch, UH Natural Science & Mathematics and have made better contact with the other student branches.
We initiated the quarterly networking events where members have been able to gather to talk about IEEE and other things. We will continue these networking events in 2016.
There is still work to do but we are moving in the right direction.
PJ Donner, Past IEEE Houston Section Chairman 2015