On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 the IEEE IAS (Industrial Application Society) the local Houston Section sponsored a NFPA 70E “Standard for Electrical Safety in the Work Place” 2018 Edition – A few Key likely Changes. The 2018 edition of 70E has not been officially approved and published yet. The presentation was based on actions taken by the technical committee.
NFPA 70E, is considered the premier document for electrical safety work in the workplace. OSHA considers NFPA 70E as industry consensus standard.
This presentation addressed a variety of key changes in the 2018 edition of NFPA 70E:
- Revisions in Arc Flash Equipment labeling requirements
- Requirements for Conformity assessment of PPE by the manufacturers Deletion of limitation of PPE to 40 cal/cm2
- Clarifications on maximum test intervals for Rubber Insulating Equipment
- Total revision of Annex K with updated data on fatalities in USA due to electrical contact and arc flash
- Enhancement of safety related design requirements to eliminate or minimize electrical hazards during design
Special thanks is extended to Bechtel for their support for use of their facilities and meal sponsorship.
Some pictures from the seminar.